Pain can be a debilitating and limiting part of your life. It can hold you back from the physical activities you’d like to do, whether it be work, hobbies, or simply getting around to complete daily tasks. Fortunately, there are a few quick and easy ways that you can relieve your pain and increase your energy, so you can get back to living your life with optimum function! When you incorporate physical therapy into your life, you can comfortably achieve your goals much faster than you may have imagined. Contact us today to find out more about how our services can benefit you!
1. Decrease stress.
While we are aware of the mental toll that stress can take on us, it can also exaggerate physical pain as well. Because of this, it is important to keep some stress-relieving techniques at the back of your mind for when you need them. A warm bath is a great way to simultaneously relieve stress and soothe any aching muscles or joints. Breathing techniques can also help you relax by calming your mind and body. A simple way to do this is to take in two or three deep breaths, releasing them slowly through your nose every time.
2. Maintain a healthy diet.
The food you eat is what fuels you throughout the day. Certain foods can provide you with more energy, in addition to relieving the pain you feel. A few of these include:
- Salmon. Salmon provides omega-3 fatty acids, which help to relieve neck, back, and joint pain.
- Hot peppers. This spicy treat has been known to relieve arthritis pain. Even if you aren’t a fan of spicy foods, a serving as small as half a teaspoon could help bring some relief.
- Cherries. Cherries increase antioxidants, which can relieve pain and inflammation.
- Ginger. The ginger plant has been known to relieve pain from migraines, as well as muscle aches and nausea. It is typically used as a spice and can be easily sprinkled into a meal.
3. Get an endorphin boost.
When you exercise, your body releases feel-good chemicals called endorphins, which act as natural pain relievers. It may seem difficult to exercise when you are experiencing aches and pains, but even light movement can provide much-needed relief. You can also boost your endorphins by sniffing a soothing lavender scent, listening to your favorite music, or even eating chocolate. Win/win!
4. Know the best mattress for your body.
Did you know that approximately ⅓ of your life is spent sleeping? Because of this, it is important to make sure that your mattress is right for you. The mattress you sleep on can affect the way your body feels when it’s awake. Since everyone sleeps differently, it is recommended that you choose a mattress according to your sleep style:
- Soft mattress. Side sleepers generally benefit from a softer mattress, as it is easier on their sides.
- Firm mattress. If you sleep on your back, a medium-to-firm mattress will help with those backaches.
- Memory foam. If you toss and turn all night, or if you switch positions repeatedly, you may want to try out memory foam. It may help you stay in one place, as it forms to the shape of your body.
5. Contact a physical therapist.
There are several advanced methods that trained physical therapists can provide for you, in order to relieve your pain and increase your energy. These physical therapy treatments address pain at its source, providing long-lasting relief. Some of the specific treatments that a physical therapist might use include:
- Massage therapy. A physical therapist is highly educated on painful areas of the body. Through massage, he or she can manipulate your painful muscles and joints, thus reducing inflammation and providing relief.
- Ice and heat therapies. Heat works to warm the muscles and tendons, making movement easier and less painful. Ice works to reduce inflammation, also providing soothing pain relief.
- Aquatic therapy. Water can stimulate nerves and provide resistance for exercise and strength training. It allows for easier movement, which can ease the stress on your body.
- Ultrasound. Ultrasound produces sound waves that can assist in blocking pain signals to the brain.
If you follow these simple steps, you can significantly improve your daily routine by relieving your pain and increasing your levels of energy. To learn more about how you can achieve your highest quality of life, free of pain and other physical limitations, contact Eastside Sports Rehabilitation Clinic today. We’ll schedule an appointment with you to discuss how we can help you reach your highest level of physical function!