Did you recently sustain a work-related injury? Are you having to take time off from work due to this injury? This can cause distress, but having a proper rehab plan in place can help. Eastside Sports Rehabilitation can provide that plan.
If you have been injured at work, contact our Bellevue, WA physical therapy office today to find out how our specialized services can help get you back to your normal physical function – and back to work! Most work related injuries are covered by Worker’s Compensation Insurance Plans. We can help navigate.
What exactly is a work injury?
Any injury, ailment, or illness that is sustained while an employee is on the job can be defined as a work injury. Many occupations pose potentially dangerous situations, such as nursing, construction, or police work. However, even occupations that you may not consider to pose potentially dangerous situations can lead to pain or injury.
For example, even jobs in an office can lead to work injuries, as sitting in the same position for prolonged periods of time can take a toll on your body. People who work in offices or factories are also prone to repetitive motion injuries, due to the fact that their jobs require constant repetition. If you happen to get hurt at work, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible, since almost any type of injury left untreated may become more severe over time.
What are the most common work injuries?
The most common types of work injuries include:
- Back pain – Back pain is the most commonly reported source of pain. Back injuries are often caused by lifting, rotating or twisting the back incorrectly. It can also be caused by sitting at a desk all day. If you are experiencing back pain, MoveForwardPT states that receiving physical therapy early on can be a cost-effective treatment option.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that occurs in the wrist when the median nerve becomes compressed, generally due to repetitive motions. Common causes of carpal tunnel syndrome include assembly line work and excessive typing. According to Harvard Health, it is necessary to seek treatment for this condition as soon as possible, in order to avoid long-term nerve damage. A physical therapy program may include stretches to improve flexibility, as well as light exercises to strengthen the muscles in your hand and wrist.
- Sprains and strains – Sprains affect the ligaments in your body while strains affect the muscles and/or tendons. These occur when the ligaments or tendons are stretched beyond their limits, which can result from either a sudden trauma, such as falling off a ladder, or repetitive motions. They can also occur as a result of improper use of equipment. Whatever the case may be, physical therapy can help reduce or even eliminate the pain from an injured tendon or ligament.
- Tendonitis – Tendonitis develops through repetitive motions and excessive overuse of certain body parts. Symptoms typically include tenderness, pain, swelling, and tenderness This condition most commonly occurs in the elbows, shoulders, and knees, and it can be corrected with physical therapy.
- Auto accidents – There is always a risk of motor vehicle injuries if your occupation requires the use of a vehicle. Work-related automobile accidents can result in injuries ranging from mild cuts and abrasions to broken bones and severe whiplash. Physical therapy can help in your recovery from an automobile accident by reducing your pain and inflammation, as well as restoring your range of motion.
How will physical therapy treat my work injury?
Physical therapy can quickly, effectively, and successfully treat work injuries for people of all ages. Our Bellevue, WA physical therapists are experts at relieving pain, improving mobility, and promoting overall health. At your initial appointment, your physical therapist will conduct an evaluation and create a personalized treatment plan that meets your specific needs. This plan may include:
- Manual Therapy
- Ergonomic Education
- Progressive Resistance Exercises
- Education on self care and management of symptoms
- Modalities such as ultrasound, electrical stimulation, cryotherapy or heat therapy
If you are suffering from a work injury, contact Eastside Sports Rehabilitation Clinic today at Bellevue, WA to schedule your appointment. We’ll help you recover quickly and get you back to your normal work performance in no time!